RFC: PIP-00: Formation of a Phonon DAO Bootstrapping Group With Defined Powers

Summary

Via Snapshot authorize the formation of a Phonon DAO Bootstrapping Group (PDBG) with defined responsibilities and powers. The PDBG’s members would be empowered to:

• Create an initial Infrastructure for the DAO (overall mission statement, initial roadmap, working groups, DAO delegates, etc.)
  • Motivate GRID holders to convert their tokens (i.e., the goal is to have 60% of GRID holders convert their tokens by January 31, 2022).
  • Propose liquidity boosting activities on decentralized exchanges, and explore options for listings on CEXs when necessary and appropriate (without giving CEXs undue influence over the governance of the DAO and ensuring the DAO has financial resources required for long-term operations) for community approval
  • Ensure trusted community members are added to the DAO Treasury multi-sig to decentralize Treasury operations
  • Engage in prudent and appropriate marketing of the Phonon network to raise awareness and interest

The PDGB’s members would be elected by current PHONON holders and serve an initial term of 3-4 months. The goal would be that the PDGB will have completed its key activities by the end of Q1 2022. At this point the PDGB would be dissolved and official DAO Working Groups will be responsible for guiding the DAO’s activities afterward.

Motivation

The Phonon DAO, which was officially launched on December 17, 2021, is responsible for guiding the development and incentivizing the utilization of the Phonon protocol. Launching any new organization is a challenge, and the Phonon DAO is no different.

Currently community members are at the beginning stages of converting their GRID tokens to Phonon. In addition, while the DAO has Stewards it is up to the community to play an active role in rapidly scaling up the organization so that it can meet some of the near-term objectives outlined in the Phonon DAO introduction post.

To help facilitate and accelerate this process, it will be helpful to have a group of dedicated individuals with responsibility for bootstrapping the DAO and preparing it for a successful future.

To that end, I am proposing that the community approve a Phonon DAO Bootstrapping Group (PDBG) that would be empowered to engage in activities on behalf of the growing DAO community that are of key importance at this stage, including:

• Creating an initial DAO mission statement and proto Constitution: This proto Constitution will outline how the DAO will be initially governed, how votes will be conducted, initial quorums, proposal formats, and other activities related to governance. This proto Constitution and mission statement would be presented to the community for review and approval.

• Improve PHONON liquidity via incentive programs: One barrier to facilitating GRID to PHONON conversions is low liquidity on DEXs for the token. PDBG would be responsible for developing an incentive program, securing technical resources to implement and bringing the program to the community for a rapid vote for implementation.

• Crafting an initial PHONON marketing campaign: The campaign would help the crypto community understand the value of the PHONON network and how they can engage. The campaign would also focus on encouraging GRID token holders to covert their GRID with the goal of achieving 60% GRID-PHONON conversion by January 31, 2022.

• Developing an initial roadmap of DAO activities This roadmap would commit the DAO to engaging in certain activities related to integrating the PHONON token into the PHONON protocol, strengthening the protocol by incentivizing hardware users (e.g., Lattice users) to help bootstrap the network, etc. Activities should be focused on ensuring the long-term health, sustainability (maintaining control over the majority of its Treasury and diversifying where necessary), and decentralization of the protocol.

• Expanding the DAO Treasury Multi-Sig: Facilitating the process of nominating (and securing community approval of community members who will serve on the DAO Treasury multi-sig to increase security and decentralization)

Initial PDBG Members

The PDBG would consist of individuals from the community and the DAO Stewards who have the bandwidth to:

• Engage in weekly planning and implementation meetings around the PDBG’s priorities, and a willingness to take the lead on implementing in key priority areas
  • Can participate in bi-weekly community calls (held on Discord) to report to the community on activities and progress
  • Draft proposals and secure consensus on initial DAO priorities/infrastructure
  • Serve a term between late December 2021 to March 2022, after which the PDBG would be dissolved and replaced by governing DAO Working Groups or other bodies outlined in the proto Constitution

Action Steps

• Gather consensus around the PDBG concept and hold a Snapshot vote with existing PHONON holders to authorize the creation of the PDBG
  • Community members and Stewards nominate themselves for participation in the PDBG via the Forum. Potential group members receiving the majority of “likes” on their nomination posts will be considered for the group. The final list of PDBG members (up to 12 individuals who receive the most community support) would be presented to the community and approved via a Snapshot vote (PIP)

Proposed Governance Action

• Community members vote on a poll (below) indicating their support for the PDGB.
  • After a three-day period of discussion and voting a Snapshot is posted authorizing the creation of the PDGB (assuming consensus is to move forward)
  • Post-PDGB authorization, the self-nominating process would begin, with the aim to hold a vote on a slate of PDBG members by December 30, 2021 (via Snapshot)

Consensus Gathering Poll

• I Support the Formation of a Phonon DAO Bootstrapping Group
  • I DO NOT Support the Formation of a Phonon DAO Bootstrapping Group

0 voters

If you do not support the formation of a PDBG, please provide alternative suggestions below.

9 Likes

Excellent - I voted yes.

1 Like

Thank you for your efforts

I love a good acronym. Count me in.

Excellent proposal with high level goals to focus our efforts. Thank you.

1 Like

Great start! I voted yes. I’m willing to assist if there’s anything I can do for the DAO.

1 Like

This is great. Thanks for putting this together.

1 Like

Hi, everyone! As a contributor in a global, remote & crypto-native sovereign collective with one of the longest histories of on-chain governance in crypto, I do vote in support of this initiative and I am very excited about what the future holds for PhononDAO. :rocket:
Many people follow your development with great hope, and it will be a pleasure to help your community with its endeavors and organizational decentralization efforts, if you feel like reaching out further down the line. We do know a thing or two. :innocent:
Furthermore, this isn’t where our community support would end. As our mission is bulding and governing protocols and dApps that help grow and decentralize DeFi, we have more to offer up our sleeves.

Bootstrapping liquidity wouldn’t be an issue with our multi-chain DEX /deployed on Ethereum mainnet, Arbitrum, and Gnosis (xDai) Chain/, with permissionless 0-code Do-It-Yourself farming campaign creation, as well as availability for dual-reward distribution /our community can chip-in :handshake::wink: with governance tokens/. Its frontend is truly decentralized, being governed by the community of the DAO, and utilizing IPFS + ENS infra, making it censorship-resistant. 1inch is tapping into our liquidity pools. The DEX even allows traders to route orders through other AMMs if there’s deeper liquidity on a pair, without leaving the UI or charging any additional fees. :mage:

The cool tech doesn’t end. :carrot::moneybag:
The DAO released a novel product, a platform for performance-driven community incentives with conditional KPI tokens. It is lightweight and versatile, not sharing the constraints and difficulties in setting up campaigns that other similar protocols experience. It allows for next generation liquidity mining, helping protocols reduce expenses to a minimum to get guaranteed ROI, only giving rewards for performance. Protocols can lock rewards and mint carrots to incentivize users, and only when certain set goals are met those carrots can be exchanged for the underlying collateral. We are currently showcasing it with Farming 2.0 campaigns in our DEX and in partnership with a lending protocol.

All dApps by the DAO are privacy-preserving and do not track or share personal data with third parties. Of course, activity is on-chain and accessible in explorers.

Anything to help Grid+ make DeFi → DeFi+ :blush:

2 Likes

Thanks Nate. Hopefully we can launch PDBG soon (looks like the vote should pass with ease) and get started on this ASAP.

1 Like

This looks excellent. Are you measuring this metric by % of wallets or % of tokens?

Any reason 60% was choosen and not 50% or 80%?

1 Like

Excellent write up. Just voted.

that’s just an example. I generally prefer to vote for numerologically significant values.

mainly because 80% in that time frame seems too ambitious.

60% provides for a majority of tokens being converted.

Why would anyone vote no on this? Kind of seems like a rubber stamp proposal.

i think that stacking of phonon will resolve that issue rapidly, as well as may be introduce some sort of incentive for early adopters

this will be great for the product, as well as will help with transition from grid to phonon

people might have different opinions about how to bootstrap the DAO.

Thanks @nate for introducing this. This is certainly something for the Bootstrapping group to take a look at.

1 Like

I kind of think 60% of holders will never convert. There’s probably lots of GRID holders who are unaware of Phonon.

maybe. we don’t know. i think creating the right circumstances for them to convert will be impt though. we can adjust the target if it’s not realistic.

Excellent framework, thank you!