Community Leader Nomination Thread - May 2022

This is the Community Leader nomination thread for the next two Phonon DAO governance terms (May 2022 - June 2023). Per our approved governance structure, this thread will stay open for five days to allow people to nominate themselves. Non-nominees may provide feedback or ask questions of the nominees.

After five days, this post will close, and a new Discourse thread will be posted allowing DAO members to vote on their preferred candidate(s), with the number of votes depends on the number of open positions*. After the Discourse poll closes, the chosen candidate(s) will be moved to Snapshot for formal approval.

*At this time, we are electing 2 Community Leaders.

As a reminder, compensation for this role is set at $750 (in PHONON) per month, and nominees need to at least respond to these prompts:

• Discord Handle
  • Summary Experience in DeFi/DAOs
  • Reason for applying
  • Describe your involvement thus far in the Phonon DAO
  • Qualifications - What will you bring to the DAO as a Community Leader?
  • Confirmation that the applicant can commit the time required for the position; Other projects they are working on
  • Anything else you would like to share?

Good luck!

1 Like

Andrew Byrley

I would love to be one of your Community Leaders! Our DAO is at a critical juncture: Test net is looming, and we’re set to start building upon the base we’ve thoughtfully constructed over the past half year. We need leaders who 1) are plugged-in and ready to lead, and 2) understand at the same time they are but a vessel of the DAO’s will. I believe I can thread this needle.

As our DAO grows and new people with diverse opinions start to engage, we will need a Community Leader who can find common ground amongst differing opinions and make sure everyone is heard. I have experience bridging gaps and finding consensus.

In addition to the duties described in our governance structure, as your Community Leader, I will:

• Ensure the DAO Council prioritizes the Long-Term Strategic Plan.
  • Hold routine Discord “office hours” so that people know for certain when I’m around to chat about whatever they want.
  • Host Town Halls to make sure the DAO has opportunities to ask questions of the rest of the DAO Council.

To answer the nomination prompts:

• Discord Handle: andrew byrley#6998
  • Summary Experience in DeFi/DAOs: I am interested in web3 because I believe in the power of decentralization and I think the tech is super cool. To this end, I operate a rocketpool validator and helium miner, and generally try to stay up to date on the state of the art. My experience in DAOs is almost entirely in Phonon DAO, which I described below.
  • Reason for applying: I am applying because I believe in a future where Phonon is ubiquitous, and I want to be a part of bringing this vision to fruition. Additionally, as a DAO, I think we need to make it as easy as possible for people to get involved. If I were to be elected, I would work to ensure we spread the wealth and don’t create work silos or other potential single points of failure.
  • Describe your involvement thus far in the Phonon DAO: I have been involved with Phonon DAO since the beginning. Here is an abbreviated list of things I’ve been involved with:
    • Member of the Phonon DAO Bootstrapping Group
    • One of the core drafters of our governance structure
    • Drafted the first iteration of the FAQ
    • Hosted community AMAs
    • Currently advising a few Working Groups
    • Discord Mod
    • One of the Treasury multisig wallet holders
  • Qualifications — What will you bring to the DAO as a Community Leader? In my non-web3 life, my professional background is international affairs, and I have an engineering education. I work for a major government (my views are my own), and I have experience in governance, economic policy, and public relations. For my next assignment, which starts summer 2022, I will be serving in Latvia. Should the DAO consider doing business with any entity located in Latvia, I will need to recuse myself.
  • Confirmation that the applicant can commit the time required for the position; Other projects they are working on: I commit to working at least 4 hours per week on our DAO. As I settle in to my new home in Latvia, I hope to devote even more time.
  • Anything else you would like to share? For me the goal is not to extract value, the goal is to build a product so spectacular that value is inevitable. This is how we succeed.
6 Likes

@AndrewB I believe would be a great Community Leader.

1 Like
  • Discord Handle: Tuesdays#0001
  • Summary Experience in DeFi/DAOs: I run a DeFi community and help create educational content to assist other with learning about DeFi. As far as DAOs go Phonon is my first that I’ve been involved with. But I currently am an admin in the discord and excited for our future.
  • Reason for applying I believe in this project and think that it will become a huge project in the crypto sphere. I’m excited to help with it in any way that I can.
  • Describe your involvement thus far in the Phonon DAO I have assisted with helping out in the discord management. And attend the majority of weekly meetings for the the current working groups. I am also spearheading the Testnet working group to help people with any issues they have in the testnet.
  • Qualifications - What will you bring to the DAO as a Community Leader? I have led gaming communities for 12 years and have lead a DeFi community for the last year. I understand community management and dispute resolution. I have had years of experience of making compromises for the better of the community so that things can move and that tensions are low.
  • Confirmation that the applicant can commit the time required for the position; Other projects they are working on I can commit at least 20 hours/week to the community even though this role doesn’t require that. But yes, I do have the time for the role. I also manage Palisade Crypto LLC as most of you know, and create content there. But I will easily be able to handle both.
  • Anything else you would like to share? I’m excited for the testnet and look forward to the future of the DAO.
4 Likes

@AndrewB Byrley’s got my vote.
same goes for : @Tuesdays’s
would also like to see @mickey up here too though.