Recognizing the Contributions of Our Protocol Developers and Leaning on Them for Future Leadership

I would like to open a discussion about the possibility of recognizing, rewarding, and incentivizing the five individuals involved in our protocol with one million tokens per month for a year. These individuals include JT, Deviator, N8, Boop, and Light. All of them have made significant contributions to the development of the protocol so far by bringing their valuable skills in project management, development, and marketing. This would encourage them to continue helping to build and promote the protocol, as well as integrate them more into guiding the direction the protocol takes

As we all know, the continued success of any protocol depends heavily on the dedication and contributions of its developers. By providing these developers with more governance tokens, we could empower them to guide and lead the protocol

I would like to emphasize that the total payment for the year would be less than 3% of the current treasury. This is a small yet meaningful investment in the future of our protocol, and I believe that it is something that we should consider.

Therefore, I would like to gather consensus from the community about whether we should move forward with this proposal. If there is consensus, we can proceed with drafting a formal proposal in the next week.

Please share your thoughts and opinions on this matter by March 1, 2023.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Nothing but love to all of them, but this is a hard no for me. They’re all being paid for their work by Grid. If they’re not all holding PHONON that will grow in value based on their work, I don’t want to force them to. The DAO exists to pay people who aren’t already being motivated to work on the project.

Yes, that is a fair point. The decision should be entirely up to them whether they want to accept it or not, and we will include that in the proposal.

You’re right, unlike other protocols, Grid is covering the cost of development at this point. This creates a natural separation between the DAO and Grid, and thus, they are the ones showing up at meetings and doing the work. They seem to be way more motivated than many DAO members.

So, I see it as either we need to get others into the DAO to help in leadership/development or start with the team that has built/currently building and give them the opportunity to lead as well if they choose by awarding them governance tokens. With the goal of expanding them into DAO to help lead, market, and develop looking at it from the DAO standpoint.

What specifically do you think we need to motivate people to do?

A few things I can think of off the top of my head are:

1. Help with marketing Phonon, whether it be through blog posts, interviews, tweets, etc.
  2. Find partnerships that the Phonon Tech could integrate with.
  3. Take a leadership position in recruiting more people to join Phonon.

I understand that Grid is a separate entity. However, the divide between the product development and the DAO’s responsibility for marketing it seems to be a problem. This separation may have appeared to be a good idea initially, but it has led us to a lack of direct leadership. Encouraging the builders to contribute outside of the technical realm seems like a good approach. If there are other ideas for getting people into a leadership position that can produce tangible results, I’m all ears.

GRID already holds a whole bunch of PHONON. I’d like to hear from them if/why they’d need more in order to do the things you’re suggesting…

For what it’s worth, I agree with Rooster.